Doddington Place Gardens is part of a 850 acres (3,400,000 m2) Edwardian estate, located on the edge of Doddington village, near Faversham in Kent, UK.
The Grade II listed Victorian mansion was built in 1870 for Sir John Croft (son of Sir John Croft, 1st Baronet ) by the architect Charles Brown Trollope.
In 1873, Markham Nesfield (1842-74), (son of the better known garden designer William Andrews Nesfield) designed the formal terrace next to the house for Sir John Croft. Unfortunately nothing remains now of his detailed planting plans.
In 1906, the Crofts sold Doddington Place and the estate to General and Mrs. Douglas Jeffreys. Who added the rock garden and she was also responsible for planting about a mile of box hedging. Then their nephew inherited the estate, John Richard Anthony Oldfield (MP) and his wife Jonnet Elizabeth Richards added to the garden. He died aged 100 at Doddington. The current owner is Richard Oldfield, cousin of John Oldfield, Richard Oldfield is the Executive Chairman of the asset management company Oldfield Partners and is the Vice Lord Lieutenant of Kent, as well as being the President of the Faversham Society. The estate suffered extensive damage in the Great Storm of 1987. Around 60 trees were damaged in the garden alone.
The gardens have been open in aid of the National Gardens Scheme for more than fifty years.
Your comments are greatly appreciated