This week’s Five at Five Intro features Writer Pam from Rough Wighting blog. Pam says in her About Page of Rough Wighting blog.
I write because I love the written word. I love stories of fiction and lore; therefore, I create with the written word too.
This blog shares that love. Parts of it contain fast flashes of life that I write for the total joy of it.
Five at Five Questions
- When and how did you start on your blogging journey?
I wrote my first book – Twin Desires – with a co-author when I lived and taught creative writing classes in the San Francisco Bay area. My co-author was one of my students (for several years) and we clicked wonderfully in writing this page-turner. She found us an agent immediately, and in the meantime, one of my nephews, 20-something, insisted that I begin a blog as my author platform. That was… ack … nine years ago.
- What subject do you like writing the most? (food, travel, sci-fi, poetry, short stories, mixture of topics, etc)
I love writing fiction and non-fiction (when it’s an “I” piece about something close and personal). I write flash fiction/non-fiction for my blog but I also love to write romantic suspense novels (2 books published so far). Oh, and children’s books (two published), oh and a memoir (one published). 😊
- Have you been influenced by other writers, if so by whom and why? If not, who is your favourite author?
I believe that I’m influenced by many writers. In my 20s I discovered Madeleine L’Engle and her beautiful journals. I read everything from Ann Patchett to Nora Roberts to Louise Penny to Daniel Silva, and each author teaches me about writing. But mostly, if a book is good, I get swallowed up into the story and eat up every page.
- How and when do you plan writing your blog posts and what keeps you motivated (making notes, spur of the moment, etc). And do you photograph your own images for your blog posts?
For eight years I posted a story on my blog weekly. A flash fiction one week, a personal “I” piece the following week. I keep each post under 500 words, and I try to use my own photographs, although sometimes I find free images on Pixabay quite useful. Now, I post every other week because I need the extra time to respond to the comments on my posts (which are wonderful) and to read the posts of other bloggers. Each reader of my blog motivates me, plus I just love to write and share my stories.
- What is your favourite form of reading, fiction or non-fiction?
I’m a fiction reader. I argue with friends who only read non-fiction because they say fiction “isn’t real.” Au contraire. Fiction is as real as it gets.
My Five Favourite Posts
- Fear of (Not) Flying | roughwighting
- Worth the Wait | roughwighting
- A Wintry Flight of Fancy | roughwighting
- Cleansing and Mark Twain | roughwighting
- A Heinz 57 Evening | roughwighting
Linked In: https://www.linkedin.com/in/pamelawight/
Thank you, Pam, for participating in the Five at Five Introduction Series.
Next Week’s Intro is Patti of P.A. Moed Blog
Your comments are greatly appreciated